Tax your vehicle

Renew or tax your vehicle for the first time using a reminder letter, your log book or the green ‘new keeper’ slip – and how to tax if you do not have any documents

Check if a vehicle is taxed
Check and report if a vehicle has up-to-date vehicle tax or is ‘off road’ (SORN)

Register your vehicle as off the road (SORN)
Register your vehicle as off the road – you will not need to pay vehicle tax until you put it on the road again

When you need to make a SORN
Making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) using the reference on your V5C registration certificate, V11 or V85/1, when to make a SORN, when it’s valid, tax, penalties, rules for motor traders

Make a statutory off road notification (form V890)
Application form (V890) to register your vehicle as being off the road, also called a statutory off road notification (SORN).

Vehicle tax Direct Debit payments
Set up, change or cancel your car tax Direct Debit, swap to another payment method, and what to do if you miss a Direct Debit payment

Vehicle tax rates
Tables showing the rates for vehicle tax for different types of vehicle.

Tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder
Renew your or get vehicle tax if you do not have your V11 reminder – renew online or at the Post Office with your V5C

Cancel your vehicle tax and get a refund
Your vehicle tax is cancelled and you get a refund for any full months of remaining tax when you tell DVLA you no longer have the vehicle or it’s off the road

Vehicle tax rates (V149 and V149/1)
Rates of vehicle tax for all types of vehicle.

Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax
Types of vehicle that are free to tax (exempt), including vehicles used by disabled people, mobility scooters, and historic vehicles

Report an untaxed vehicle
Anonymously report an untaxed vehicle that you’ve seen on a public road

Updated on 2020-04-25

Was this article helpful?